Today, you will try some activities based on the book, 'The Midnight' Fox by Betsy Byars.
Read the extract from the book below, thinking about what is happening and the characters you meet:
- What do you think is happening in this extract?
- Who are the central characters?
- Can you summarise what you’ve read in a couple of sentences?
Think about the narrator Tom and his friend Petie.
- What do you think you know about them, their friendship, the circumstances of this meeting, and what is about to happen in the story?
- What can you tell about Tom’s life?
- How would you describe him?
- How do you think he feels about going to the farm?
- Where and when do you think this story might be set?
- What clues do you find in the text?
Re-read the extract and think about how this story opening makes you feel.
- What do you like or dislike about it?
- Does it remind you of anything you know from stories or real life? How?
Think about how it is written.
- Do any parts really stick in your mind?
- Which words and phrases do you like best?
- What do you like about them?
- Do they look or sound interesting?
- Do they help you make a picture in your mind?